Mason Securities, Inc. (MSI) is registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) as a broker‐dealer. Brokerage fees differ between this business and its affiliate Mason Investment Advisory Services, Inc. (MIAS) and it is important for you to understand these differences. There are free and simple tools available to research firms and financial professionals at www.investor.gov/CRS which also provides educational materials about broker‐dealers, investment advisors, and investing.
Relationships and ServicesWhat investment services and advice can you provide me?
We offer brokerage services to retail investors that are clients of our affiliate MIAS. For any brokerage account that is managed by a MIAS representative, MIAS monitors the account and makes recommendations to the client for a change to the account based on the client’s objectives and risk tolerance. For clients who have non‐managed accounts, the client makes the decision regarding the purchase or sale of investments. MSI and MIAS do not monitor non‐managed accounts or make recommendations to the client for these types of accounts. MSI does not have any proprietary products and there is no minimum account size or investment amount to open a brokerage account at MSI.
Conversation starter: Ask your financial professional
- Given my financial situation, should I choose a brokerage service? Why or why not?
- How will you choose investments to recommend to me?
- What is your relevant experience, including your licenses, education, and other qualifications? What do those qualifications mean?
- Fees, Costs, Conflicts, and Standard of Conduct: What fees will I pay?
Conversation starter: Ask your financial professional:
- Help me understand how these fees and costs might affect my investment. If I give you $10,000 to invest, how much will go to fees and costs, and how much will be invested for me?
Conflicts of Interest
- What are your legal obligations to me when acting as my broker?
- How else does your firm make money and what conflicts of interest do you have?
When we provide you with a recommendation as your broker, we must act in your best interest and not put our interest ahead of yours. At the same time, the way we make money creates some conflicts with your interests. You should understand and ask us about these conflicts because they can affect the recommendations we provide you.
Here are some examples to help you understand what this means. Although we do not provide recommendations for brokerage only accounts, the affiliate Mason Investment Advisory Services, Inc. does provide recommendations for your investment account.
Conversation Starter: Ask your brokerage advisor
- How might your conflicts of interest affect me, and how will you address them?
- How does your financial professional make money?
MSI financial professionals earn a salary along with a discretionary bonus from MSI’s affiliate MIAS. This is not based on products sold or revenue from brokerage services, but on merit.
In lieu of a salary, a few of MSI’s financial professionals receive a percentage of the gross revenue generated from the advisory clients they assisted in obtaining or that they helped service. This does not include revenue from brokerage services. One planner receives a combination of both, which does not include revenue from brokerage services.
Disciplinary HistoryDo you or your financial professionals have legal or disciplinary history?
Yes. Please see www.investor.gov/CRS for researching our firm and financial professionals.
Conversation Starter: As a financial professional
- Do you have any disciplinary history?
- For what type of conduct?
Additional informationFor additional information about our brokerage services or a copy of this disclosure, call 703.716.6000 and ask your advisor to send you a copy.
Conversation Starter: Ask your financial professional
- Who is my primary contact person?
- Is he or she a representative of an investment adviser or a broker‐dealer?
- Who can I talk to if I have concerns about how this person is treating me?